We have become ever more aware of how important sleep is for our health and wellbeing yet many of us regularly don’t get enough sleep. It’s easy to see that we would have lower energy levels if we don’t have enough sleep but missing even an extra half hour a night can have an impact on our mood and long-term health.
On a cellular level the body is literally repairing itself when we sleep.
Why sleep is important for mood
Lack of sleep can significantly alter the mood causing frustration, irritability and reducing our ability to cope with stress. Studies show that sleep-deprived people are less likely to eat healthily or engage in leisure activities due to sleepiness.Continued lack of sleep can lead to depression and a general low mood.
If you are feeling tired when you wake up, then it is time to assess your daily habits to see how you could improve your sleep pattern.
Lifestyle tips to boost sleep
- Don’t drink alcohol late in the evening.
- Avoid spicy foods
- Switch off computers 90 minutes before sleep
- Avoid checking your phone or tablet before bed
- Remove all electrical devices from the bedroom
- Fix a black out blind to the window
- Take a warm bath or do some yoga to relax.
Which foods help you to sleep
When we are over tired, we often reach for carbohydrates, but other foods will help you to drift away more easily. One of the most important things in getting good quality sleep is getting enough of the amino acid tryptophan from different protein foods. This amino acid has a natural sedative effect, it also promotes happiness. People with low tryptophan levels are more likely to suffer with anxiety and depression.
- Turkey in particular is rich in the amino acid tryptophan which increases levels of sleep-inducing melatonin
- If you’re looking for a vegan option try bananas also contain this hormone, they re also rich in sleep boosting minerals
- Oats are rich in magnesium, silicon, calcium, phosphorus and potassium, all of which promote sleep. However, try to go sugar free as sugar. Slice a banana on instead
- Try herbal teas instead of caffeine loaded coffees and teas. Some of the best sleep-inducing options are valerian, decaffeinated green tea, camomile and peppermint
Supplements for sleep
Collagen Shots and H3O Night Repair are the perfect combination. Collagen Shots contains the amino acid glycine which promotes good quality sleep and reduce the level of fatigue in the morning. A study also showed that taking glycine before sleeping improved alertness during the day. It also helps you to reach deep sleep more quickly and improves your quality of sleep by stabilising your sleep rhythms.
H3O Night Repair is rich in key minerals to promote a more restful sleep. It also contains grape seed extract and pine bark which improve the quality of sleep while zinc and astaxanthin which when used in combination have been clinically shown to improve sleep efficiency
Throughout the month of January, we have created two special Wellness Energy Mood packages
Rejuvenated supplements to promote sleep
- H3O Night Repair
- Cellular Calm Complex
- Collagen Shots
Why we’ve selected these products
- H3O Night Repair contains minerals to help you drift away more easily.
- The combination of ingredients in Cellular Calm Complex help to calm the brain and reduce anxiety to enhance mood and support sleep.
- Glycine is a key amino acid peptide in Collagen Shots, this amino acid helps the body to cool down which speeds up the time that it takes us to drift off. It also helps to reduces muscle activity during the REM phase of sleep to promote a more peaceful sleep.