At Rejuvenated, we find that there is nothing better than naturally occurring minerals, molecules and more to boost our bodies’ health. As our bodies know exactly what to do with these elements, supplements can be particularly effective.
NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide) is one of these natural molecules. In this blog, we will explore what NMN is, as well as what NMN supplements are, along with their benefits and side effects.
What is NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide)?
Nicotinamide mononucleotide is a molecule that is produced naturally in the human body. NMN plays a key role in cellular energy production and DNA repair. NMN is derived from ribose, nicotinamide, nicotinamide riboside and niacin. In addition, a number of our bodies’ enzymes use NMN to generate nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD). NMN is a key molecule for biohacking, as it contributes to improving the body’s health and wellness at the cellular level.
Tip: You can read all about NAD+ on our blog.
What is an NMN supplement?
NMN supplements are dietary supplements that contain NMN as an active ingredient and boost your body’s NMN. Nicotinamide mononucleotide supplements are beneficial for many health conditions, as this molecule plays an essential part in improving cardiovascular health, reducing inflammation, promoting longevity, and improving cognitive function.
As NMN plays an important role in cellular recovery and growth, it also counteracts some of the effects of ageing on the body, improving longevity and youthfulness. Research has also suggested that NMN supplements may help to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the risk of age-related metabolic disorders such as type 2 diabetes.
NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide) supplements offer a range of fantastic benefits, as you’ve seen above. But let’s look at these in greater detail.
Some of our favourite benefits of NMN supplementation include:
- Improved cell energy production: NMN is a precursor to NAD+, an essential coenzyme that plays a key role in cellular energy production. NMN supplementation increases NAD+ levels in the body, which helps to improve metabolic functions while also reducing age-related declines in mitochondrial function.
- Reduced inflammation: Inflammation, which is a defensive response in which redness and swelling are part and parcel, can be reduced through NMN supplementation.
- Anti-ageing effects: One of our favourite benefits of NMN is that it reduces age-related declines in cellular function, promoting healthy ageing.
- Improved insulin sensitivity: NMN supplementation has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism in a few animal studies, which suggests that it may have potential benefits for people with type 2 diabetes or other metabolic disorders.
- Improved cognitive function: Some studies show that NMN supplementation can make you a brainy beauty. NMN may improve cognitive function and reduce age-related declines in brain function.
- Improved cardiovascular health: Some studies have suggested that NMN supplementation can improve cardiovascular health by reducing inflammation, improving blood flow, and reducing the risk of atherosclerosis (the buildup of fatty deposits in the arteries).
NMN supplement side effects
As with most things, NMN has a small scope for negative side effects. While nicotinamide mononucleotide supplements are generally considered safe, and most people experience little to no side effects, some potential side effects have been reported, although they are generally mild and only temporary.
The potential side effects of NMN supplementation include:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
Fortunately, even if you experience one of these NMN side effects, they usually subside as the body adjusts to the supplement. However, if you experience any persistent or severe side effects or if you have any concerns about taking NMN supplements, it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional.
What Rejuvenated supplement includes NMN?
Our youth-boosting Rejuvenated NAD+ supplement combines powerful natural ingredients to boost cellular energy. Ingredients like NMN, Vitamin B2 and zinc work together to support healthy cellular ageing, reduce tiredness and fatigue, improve cognitive function and more.